Monday, August 10, 2009

Here's what I've learned...

You can't start running with a weak powerhouse. Oh, and the woman on the Pilates video is a she-devil, in the most evil sense of the word.

Any attempts at running and/or fast walking, have been thwarted by back pain, brought on by weak abs, etc. So I thought to myself, "Self, let's do some pilates with our heavy bag routines and build up those core muscles (the "powerhouse"), THEN we'll worry about running." Besides, more muscle = more fat burning. Friday night we did some pilates. The bitch...er...lady on the DVD said that I should start with 5 or 6 (out of 18) of the exercises and then work up to doing the entire routine. So that's what I (attempted to do) did. Keep in mind - I have no mat and I'm working on a HARDwood floor. I had to skip one move because "roll like a ball" doesn't happen on a HARDwood floor with no mat. Not when my tailbone is involved. No way, no how.

Anyway, I did 5 or 6 of her moves...after a while, when the blood was gone from my brain and my tailbone was screaming in pain and the dog was licking my face while I attempted unnatural acts on the living room floor (with my pelvis in "neutral position" and my spine in alignment)...I lost count. I actually didn't stop because of my muscles, I stopped because after one move that was done on my stomach, when I sat up to do the next move, my head started pounding in a way that I was certain...certain...would be the end of me and I had to stop. All the while, that smiling, blonde harbinger of death was on my television screen bending and flexing and stretching and smiling. God, I hate that woman.

In the end, I thought, Well, maybe pilates isn't for me. I guess I can't do enough of that to help because of the inexplicable pounding in my head. But...turns out I was wrong. Turns out it really is the quality of your movements and not the quantity. And I guess I really was holding everything in and flexing and whatever I was supposed to be doing because my powerhouse killed all day Saturday. It hurt yesterday too but not nearly as bad and today I can only tell anything happened when I suck it all in and flex those muscles. So I guess I was doing something right. The only thing I'm wondering now is if I should have done it again yesterday, since the pain was fading or if I should have waited until today when the pain is almost all gone. I'm definately doing more tonight - it was awesome! And to finally do something so quick and simple that left me with such soreness that it MUST have done something - that's awesome too. Now I just need a mat, before my tailbone stages a revolt.

In other news, I'm still studying, my next part of the exam is next Thursday (August 20th) and Husband worked until midnight Friday night, then went in at 8:30am Saturday and got home about 6pm, so I got caught up on my studying and I put a coat of primer on the hallway. We finished the woodwork yesterday and put a topcoat on the walls, so just one more coat on the walls and that'll be another area of the house painted...sweet.

3 comments:

  1. I like Pilates, and yes it can kill for a few days afterward. However, you start seeing results pretty quickly.

    But get a mat. Honestly, you will wreck your spine, your tailbone and your knees. You do not want to damage those disks in your lower back and be on your ass for weeks, trust me. Get a mat today. /lecture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and go you!! Kudos on starting your program despite being busy with a million things!! (Oh, and please get a mat.)

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at mats at Wal-Mart on Sunday but for some reason I didn't get one. I guess maybe I'll buy the mat then stop doing the workouts and will have wasted the money. Is there an alternative to a mat for the time being - like doing it on the carpeted floor instead of the wood? Or maybe some folded up towels?

    I know...I need to buy a mat. :-)

    I'm planning on doing the Pilates on Mon-Wed-Fri (I can sneak it in before K gets home) and the heavy bag on Tues-Thurs, then probably pilates on Sat and rest on Sunday. I do still plan on running, just gotta build up the core strength first.

    ReplyDelete